Saturday, March 26, 2011

My first Amy Butler!

A while back I saw this link to a free Amy Butler bag pattern on Sew Mama Sew. http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=11705 Now I'm a HUGE fan of Amy Butler's fabric/patterns but to tell you the truth, I've never sewn any of her stuff. The link to a free pattern got my attention.

Side note: My sister Sophia is a really special person. She knits like a maniac and always makes wonderful gifts for everyone in the family, especially my girls. Here's a pic of our most recent present. Matching hats, sweaters and dresses. Aren't they just ADORABLE?


Like I said, she's amazing. My sister's birthday was right around the corner and I wanted to make her something really special so I thought I'd give the bag a whirl... how tough could it be right? Well, the instructions, as I read from the reviews were very easy to follow. I'd consider my sewing skills to be novice/intermediate and the handbag turned out beautifully. I did change the closure for the bag as the magnetic clasp I had purchased wasn't the right kind. The thing had A TON of pieces to put together though. The handles themselves take a while to put together (I think I counted 70 something pieces total for the bag) but it's so worth it. Mailing it out on Monday and I can't wait for her to get it! I love the colour combination (kudos to my mom for that!) I love how the bag looks like my grandmother's old couch or luggage or something. The bright colours just scream Spring and with that right around the corner here (LONG winters up North) I wanted to finish ASAP so she can sport it in the melting snow and shining sun in Ottawa.


No comments:

Post a Comment